Saturday, August 06, 2011

Washington, It's the water......


Occasionally we need a rude awakening. We need to see what family values are, we need to reaffirm that life down south is indeed all it is cracked up to be.
How do we do it?
Easy, a trip NOB seals the reaffirmation of the existence of a wacky crazy world out there that the normal is having time to enjoy your mid day meal while you are driving on the freeway, trying to dodge the cars that are also either eating their lunch, or in the morning dodging cars with people putting on makeup on their way to their 8 to 5 job.
Wow......
We needless to say are in the states, summoned for a handful of reasons, couple of weddings a retirement party, birthday celebration and tending to a little old company business.

First of all, it is a real hassle flying anywhere these days. Separating you luggage into half a dozen bins on the way to the security xray machine.

Not at the Guadalajara Airport but in Seattle.

Computer in one, belt and shoes in another, wallet, pen, glasses, change and keys in another, God help you if you have anything else remotely resembling electronics which I did, a GPS and digital camera for which I was chastised for not putting in a separate bin....
Give me a *$%@+#** break......

Anyway, my wife enjoyed her last years birthday celebration when we enjoy a few nights in Catalina, so we trekked over to the San Juan Islands for a few days this year for her birthday.

Beautiful absolutely gorgeous country, lands with wild foxes crossing the roads, pristine waters with billowing clouds, a nice change from the downpours we had in Patzcuaro on our last days there.

The Pacific North West has to be one of the most beautiful places in the US.......when it's not raining.

I think that is a window from July 15 to September 1.

Although we had great weather while we were there our last day there we had a overcast drizzly day.
It was indeed funny to see people in Seattle sitting and laying outside anywhere they could in the sun. Seems the sun don't shine there very much judging from the pasty white completions of the people walking around.

We had dinner the other night, came out of the restaurant at almost 10 o'clock and it was still dusk light outside.... almost like when we were in Alaska, real long days......

Anyway, Northern California is our spot for the next few weeks, catching up on stuff, getting ready for some weddings, parties and meetings. A chance to reaffirm of why Mexico is more satisfactory for my hypertension......

More to follow!

8 comments:

JerryL said...

Clicking on the top photo makes that water like I was standing right there. That is one beautiful picture!

Anonymous said...

Man, oh, man, another description of American airports that seals even further my hope that I will never set foot in one again in my life.

Enjoy the trip.

Calypso said...

"A chance to reaffirm of why Mexico is more satisfactory for my hypertension"

After more than six weeks here NOB - yikes - we are ready to head home! (In a couple of weeks - ouch!).

Tancho said...

Jerry, the Pacific North West has to be one picture perfect postcard dream. BUT, even the locals long for the sun about 11 months out of the year. Floridians or Arizonians would wither up and die here.

Felipe, I am or have never been a real great conformist, add a stupid useless program which does absolutely nothing except make the public feel like big brother is doing something, makes my blood boil especially because I remember the good old days of how nice and dignified air travel use to be. Now there is more class in a local bus trip , and less hassle. It is a degrading experience.

John, I will start counting the days when my feet hit the land south of the border. The US is a OK, (notice I didn't say nice) place to visit, but.......

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Son of a bitch! I can't believe you were in our neck o' the woods...I wish I would have know that. Yeah, it's a whacky, crazy world here, but I love it! And it's not raining - today, anyway - but go ahead and spread that rumor...we have too many "outsiders" moving here anyway.

And I beg to pardon, however, I hardly consider us as having "pasty white complexions"! HMPFF!!

Safe travels, mi amigo, and see ya on the flip side!

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

p.s. You do know (don't you) that both New York City and Miami both have more annual rainfall than Seattle?! I'm just saying...

Tancho said...

Mike & Cynthia, I wish we would have had more time!
We were on a whirlwind trip and it was my first time going to the islands, not knowing exactly how the ferries ran, where to get them, standing in line for over an hour listening to an inept rent-a-car clerk, I though we would miss the last ferry, so we only were on San Juan for two nights.
I know that we will return again soon and spend at least 4 to 6 days up there. We will make it a point to get together so I can see you splendid tan.....
You gotta be kidding on the rain thing....I know that Portland has more rain, Seattle has overcast!

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Well, I hope you had a great trip!