Friday, April 18, 2014

Before and After

I always enjoy before and after pictures, especially
the ones that show city streets with a date range of 25 to 100 years.

When we bought the property there were lots of trees on the property, by looks of the size of the tree and the rings on the stump, I can see that some have been here for over 50 years. At least the ones that we cut recently which were about 3 ft in diameter.
Before Chain Saw
I usually don't want to cut trees but these were in the way of the afternoon sun on the house, which during the low sun winter-months made afternoons especially chilly.

We'll see this coming winter if the tree cuts made any difference. It's not like we don't have very many trees, but 25 acres of tall pine trees is a lot....trust me.

After Chain Saw
Yesterday morning I took a video of the fog rolling below us, and the full moon still out peeking behind a pine tree.

I'll post than in a few days.


Flash...News....

Meanwhile, we had an fairly strong earthquake this morning. I was sitting at the computer and it started shaking, lasted about a minute. It was stronger than the Loma Prieta Bay Area quake I remember in 89 where the water was sloshing out of the hot tub on our deck in Sonoma County. It was reported as a 7.4 quake and was centered about 40 miles from Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo.

 I am surprised of how long it actually lasted. Our caretaker who lives across the driveway came out and told us he saw the pickup truck that is parked in front, swaying back and forth.
Our  lights that hang over our kitchen island on chains were saying for  quite a long time after the end of the quake, about 5 minutes.

I have always enjoyed earthquakes, even from my early childhood living in San Francisco. I remember my mom being afraid of them but I though they were neat.

Kinda shows you the power of nature and how little impact we have on it.  Well another beautiful day on this Good Friday.

No comments: