Wednesday, September 07, 2016

Holy Moly it's been 10 years blogging

Man did 10 years go by fast!

I started scribbling , ok not scribbling but typing thoughts and messages on this blog. The counter says there have been a total of 115568 pageviews  in that time frame.
Really?

Originally I started writing this to share the experiences of the passage to Mexico. The good, the bad and the ugly. Lots of things have changed in 10 years, some good some bad.

I was having lunch with a very good friend of mine  the other day who is the same age that I am, and we both agreed that our bodies are slowing down, even if our brains are still racing forward. This last year for me has especially been taxing. I have been in the hospital a couple of times and let me tell you being in the hospital is not fun. If it wasn't for the morphine IV, I  think I would have found a way to surrender to the grim reaper.
 But too many friends of mine convinced me that if I am still breathing and waking up in the morning I am more fortunate that a lot of my friends who are no long here. And be thankful for what I have.

The trick is to be able to maneuver and get around good enough to have a decent quality of life. That is the hard part to tackle.
 In the last year I have seen a lot of people who are hanging on for life for some reason when they cannot enjoy any kind of decent quality of life or even self sufficiency. 
 I may change my mind when and if it comes to that point but we'll take that subject on at a different time.

We should be talking about the rain, being without power of a couple of days while CFE moves the power lines to the other side of the road. You remember they destroyed our rural picturesque road that had nice trees and winding roads and replaced it with a 4 lane highway in front of our  property.
Well this last week they have been moving the power lines to our side of the road, for some reason unknown to me or the workers whom I asked why.

This has been a kinda weird weather year, lots of rain and lots of lightening, I am looking forward to drying up a little, just in time for it to get cold.  We'll that's what Zihuatanejo is for anyway, a quick 3 hour ride down the mountains to the beautiful quiet resort with nice sand, nice pool and nice bar drinks....
Daily life.....yeah!

On second though if you are reading this, you are better off going to Ixtapa because it has lots of nice high rise hotels, restaurants and Zihuatanejo is way too quiet and we don't need any more people there than there is.
Ok, I am being selfish, but I have earned that right. 

In the 10 years, I have covered lots of topics, the day to day bureaucracies, the insesant lack of logic in dealing with some local businesses, and the haphazard day to day life in this beautiful neck of the woods. We are in the middle of the Sierra Madre mountains, and we still have lot of pine trees surrounding the home.
In the last 10 years Patzcuaro has gotten ( sadly) modern.
We now have stop lights on the periferico which a lot of the time are ignored in order suit one's self driving methods.
I find myself adapting to local driving customs to the chagrin of my wife. 

Patzcuaro now has two large supermercados which we didn't have 10 years ago. 
As well as a  large well lit Autozone car parts store, which opened up  a few years ago. It's a nice store which allows one to wander through the isles gazing at well displayed auto parts and accessories. 
Now if only we  had a Steren store,  for me to spend even more time at...

10 years has also brought some fresh new friends and sadly has also brought the necessity to say goodbye to a few also. The goodbyes are sad because they seem to be escalating faster than the gathering of new ones.

We've also been through many changes in how we use the ranch. From growing various vegetables in addition to having head of cattle has required us getting rid of the cattle because stealing cattle is way too prevalent here. When we start talking of thousands of pesos insead of hundreds, then something needs to happen so we just couldn't keep being the source of free beef anymore.
 Gone are the cattle, what I really miss is the fresh warm milk from which we made a variety of cheeses and I had my daily yogurt fix.

Well, if the last 10 years is any indication of how fast the next 10 years are going to go, I better get prepared for jamming in a lot of stuff that I have on my bucket list.


Thank you all who have been reading and especially to the ones who have contributed by responding with your comments.  I may start more regular writing again, if I get some more interesting topics of which to write.



No comments: