Tuesday, July 21, 2009

So now what?


It's a quarter to three, there is no one in the place but you and me, so set em up Joe.....
Better yet it should be, it's a quarter to three, I can't get to sleep so what do I doooooo?

I've tried Chamomile tea, a couple of sleep aid tables and I still am wide awake.

For some reason this happens about once or twice a month.
I use to think it was stress, that's fine when you are younger, and have something to stress over.
Don't have to get up early to catch a plane.

Money, Romance, Travel, Jobs, but now......

So let's knock off the stress angle.

Must be some chemical imbalance.
Or just maybe something I ate?

I usually can drink a nice cup of coffee at 11 PM and fall asleep by Midnight.
Last coffee was 5 PM.

So now, I scanned the internet, read the USA Today, for Today, Yesterday still not sleepy.
And counting sheep is BS!

Windows open so theres fresh air, it around 60 degrees so it's not too hot.
Not too cold.
And there are no good movies on TV.
And my eyes are too tired to read.

Maybe I should have had one for the road, eh Joe?

7 comments:

Don Cuevas said...

Buenos días. 3:30 a.m.
That's when I got up.

Sometimes sleep apnea is problem in getting or staying asleep. Could be BPH, from which men over 50 have to get up every hour or so to pee. Very disruptive to a night of solid rest.

Could be something on your mind.

Coffee at 5 p.m could well be a trigger for imsomnia, as might be a good, greasy carnitas or extra spicy Thai meal late in the day.

Constantino; you already know the best answer to get a good night's sleep is S-E-X, sex.

¡Buen provecho y que divíertense!

Saludos,
Don Cuevas

Michael Dickson said...

Get some little chocolate mints from CostCo, lie down, lights off, and slip one of those babies in your mouth. Just let it melt. Don´t chew. Soon you´ll be walking with the angels. But not literally. That comes later.

ac said...

Hola Constantino,
Caffeine does not reach peak serum concentrations for about 4 hours and has a looong half life.
If you take a siesta, don't.
booze acts as a stimulant until it starts to wear off.
As far as herbal teas and the like, you might try valerian tea. It has been used as a sedative for centuries. You should be able to get it in health food storesd north of the border, or from those folks around town that sell those little bags of herbs.
No! Not those herbs!
Don Cuevas' point of greasy food late is also a good one to keep in mind, keep la cena light.
Felipe's is worth trying too.
Good luck and pleasant dreams.
ac

Nancy said...

I say don't worry about it! If you're tired the next day, have a nap.

I get insomnia mostly when I have things I am trying to work out in my head... telling someone something difficult, that kind of thing.

But I do think the older you get the less sleep you need. My dad never needed more than four hours even when he was young!

Good luck!

Tancho said...

Wow, thanks all for the good information! It seems that during my earlier years it was harder to fall asleep since I had all kinds of things going through my head. Bills, work, etc, but now it should be not the issue. I also notice that I do not need as much sleep as I use to. Thankfully this only happens once or twice a month!
All good advice, thanks to you all! So today I will probably need a short nap or if not will be plenty tired for sleep tonight!

Steve Cotton said...

Ah, that explains the early morning comment on my blog. I did not fall asleep until about 5 this morning. And I know why. I am still trying to adjust to the tropical heat. Off for a nap now.

Anonymous said...

As a longtime insomniac, the one thing I can say is that trying to sleep is the worst thing you can do.

If I find myself sleepless, I get up and do something, whether that be reading or taking a little walk. By the time I get back, I often can sleep again.

Saludos y que Morfeo te visite.

Kim G
Boston, MA
Where there are plenty of things to worry about late at night.